- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 28oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 15oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz. can sweet corn, drained and rinsed
- tortilla chips
- 2 cups vegan cheese (I am going to use Daiya Pepperjack)
2. Add tomatoes and spices. Bring to a boil and then simmer on Low for about 10-15 minutes.
3. Spray a medium baking dish with oil. Spread a small amount of tomato sauce on the bottom of the dish. Spread a layer of tortilla chips. Add half the beans and half the corn evenly over the chips. Ladle half the sauce and sprinkle half of the cheese. Repeat with another layer of chips-beans-corn-tomato sauce. Save the other half of the cheese for the end.
4. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
5. Remove foil, turn oven up to 400 degrees F. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top, return to oven and bake uncovered for 5 more minutes or until cheese melts.
6. Serve with avocado chunks and a dollop of Vegenaise or vegan sour cream.