Monday, October 31, 2011

Speculoos

So, I learned something new this week while watching the Top Chef Just Desserts finale. Speculoos. Apparently, it's a spread made from ground up cookies. Matthew, from TCJD, said that it's kind of like peanut butter. Since my kids are allergic to peanuts, peanut butter substitutes make my ears perk up.



I did a little investigation and found a recipe for the actual cookie that Speculoos is made from.  I bake by weight, not volume, so this works for me. At some point, after I do some experimenting with using gluten free flour in the recipe, I'll convert to a volume recipe for those of you who are not baking by weight.

500gr flour
375gr brown sugar
250gr butter
½ tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp spices (ginger, nutmeg etc)
2 eggs
100gr almonds (powder)
Mix all the ingredients together and leave the mixture in a cold place till the next day.
Roll out the dough. Cut it into shapes (squares, not squares etc)Place all on a cooking tray.
Cook for 15min at low heat.

After the cookies are baked, you grind them up into a find powder - making essentially a flour from the cookies, then you toast the flour before using it. Sounds pretty darn yummy to me!! =)

On a different note, Congratulations to Chris - this seasons winner of Top Chef Just Desserts. I called this win early on. =)

1 comment:

  1. I also have to add this disclaimer: I posted the recipe for folks who might be interested. For my family, this is a NONO. I might actually try to make them, with a gluten free flour blend, but I posted the recipe as I found it. NOT as I'd make it. =)

    ReplyDelete