Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween Fruit Salad, Yummy Yummy!

As you know, my little guy has about a million food allergies. Halloween is always a giant pain for us. He's never been trick or treating, but we always have an awesomely fun night with friends, passing out candy and playing, "guess the costume." 

This year, I decided to go healthy with the halloween treat for his class party. I usually make gf/vegan cupcakes for everyone. It's kind of fun, actually - none of the kids realize that my cupcakes are allergen friendly. They just know that they are delicious. Anyhow, this year I made tiny little jack o'lanterns out of oranges and filled them with a fruit salad made of apples, grapes, oranges, and pears. I mixed all the fruit with a coconut cream whipped cream and marshmallows.  I really hope the kids enjoy them.

I am so happy with the way the "whipped cream" turned out. I'd seen the idea on other blogs, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Instructions:
1 (full-fat) can of coconut milk
1 tbspn agave nectar
1 tbspn pure vanilla

Step one involves waiting. I am going to start keeping a can of coconut milk in the fridge for whenever it might be needed.  The coconut milk has to be refrigerated overnight to allow the fat to solidify.

When opening the can, be sure to NOT shake it, you want the solids on the top. Carefully, scoop out the opaque solids and put them in your stand mixer. (drink the leftover water, it's healthy and delicious!)

Add the agave and vanilla - and mix using your whip attachment (or hand mixer).  I let mine go about 5 minutes or so. 

This is what it should look like: 
 Totally decadent - and safe for my little diary allergic kiddo!!!

1 comment: