Monday, June 27, 2011

Vegans Love Chocolate.

I remember someone once telling me that vegans can't have chocolate. That's so untrue. Chocolate, by nature, is dairy free. It's not until it's heavily processed that dairy is added to it. When I was young, I really had a strong dislike for dark chocolate but as I've gotten older, my palette has matured and my love for dark chocolate has taken over. I now have a strong dislike for milk chocolate.

Anyhow, I've been livin' vegan for a week now and tonight, I had a massive chocolate attack. I have to sent a great big thanks out to Rip Esselstyn, and his Engine 2 Diet book, for supplying me with a terrific chocolate sauce!!  I had a big old bowl of coconut milk ice cream, with bananas, cashews, walnuts, and a big old glop of this sauce. It was uber delicious, and it made enough so that I have some left for tomorrow.

So, this (new) vegan can have her chocolate....and eat it too!! 

1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons agave nectar (or *real* maple syrup)
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix cornstarch with small amount of water until no lumps remain. Whisk in remaining water, nectar or syrup, and cocoa. Cook in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring continuously until the sauce thickens.

Enjoy!

Recipe © Rip Esselstyn - The Engine 2 Diet

No comments:

Post a Comment