Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Butternut Coconut Rice



Last week I purchased Isa Chandra Moskowitz' new cookbook Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes and vowed to actually really use the book. Every recipe in it looks amazing, there are no uber odd-difficult to find ingredients or anything. (Though, I have to add this disclaimer: I live in a highly populated area with plenty of health food/natural foods stores. For someone who doesn't have easy access, some of the ingredients might actually be hard to find.)

Last night I made the Butternut Coconut rice, from page 80. I had to make a few adjustments though. I'm not cooking with any oil these days, as part of the Engine 2 Diet and after I started cooking, I realized I was missing a couple things.  It was really quite delicious and even my uber picky husband loved it.

3 cups cooked brown rice
1 lb cooked butternut squash
2 tablespoons shallot
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tblspn lime zest
1/2 tspn chili powder
1/4 tspn salt
3/4 cup light coconut milk
1 cup veggie stock
1 tbspn Herbs de Provance
Dash Cayenne

Saute shallots in veggie stock, add garlic and saute until translucent. Add zest, chili powder, herbs, salt and cook for about 2 minutes. Add butternut squash and coconut milk - use a potato masher to mash into a creamy consistency. Add the rice and stock, stir well. Right at the end, add the dash of cayenne (if so desired!) and stir in.

The hubs and I each had a large helping of this, along with a World's Best Veggie Burger patty. I'm especially happy that there was quite a bit left over so I'm going to have a wonderful lunch!!

No comments:

Post a Comment