Sunday, November 14, 2010

Pastry School is Exhausting!

So, here's how it works. I arrive at school somewhere between 6:15 and 6:30 on Thursday mornings. I lay claim to a work space and review my assignments for the week. Every week, each of the 15 of us have assigned production usually including either cookies or cake, a bread, and some other pastry.  We work until 3 or so, then we pack it up and head home. Then we arrive first thing in the AM on Friday to finish our production and transform our baking classroom into a working pastry shop. People start lining up, in the halls, around 2:30 so they can have first crack at whatever is in the case that particular week. We often run out of some of the best sellers (like fruit tarts) within 30-45 minutes of the shops doors being opened.  We run the shop from 3PM until about 5:30.

I knew, going in, that it was going to be a lot of work. I was never really prepared for just how tired I would be on Friday nights. I usually come home, hug my children, eat a light dinner... and then head to bed. I just don't have the energy for anything else.  It's worth it though.





1 comment:

  1. I feel you pain Kris...it is worth it girl even if we feel dead in the water after! :)

    ReplyDelete