Sunday, August 22, 2010

Pastry School

I officially started classes on the 17th. Naturally, the first day was pretty easy. We went over the ins and outs of the program, talked about the layout of the bake shop, went over the syllabus, and everything else one could expect on the first day of classes. Pastry school at the college I attend is broken down into 4 different classes for the first semester and continuation classes for the second. The first consist of:
  • Pastry Shop Production
  • Pastry Shop Business Basics
  • Pâtisserie
  • Pastry Shop Principals
We went home early on the first day but were assured that it was highly unlikely we'd ever go home early again. We have far too much to do.

The pastry program is 100% self sustained. The program spends about $2000.00 a week on ingredients. We sell everything we make - the goal is to break even. In the instances where we make more than that, the extra money is put into a fund to purchase new and or specialized equipment for the bake shop. Just recently, Chef was able to purchase a bunch of Silpat liners and some 3d patterns to use with Joconde sponge batter.

On the 2nd day we started baking. We stuck to the basics, short dough, chocolate chunk cookies, peanut butter cookies, and Mexican wedding cookies.

I'm realizing, already, how difficult it is to be gluten free in pastry school. It is definitely going to be a challenge. There is flour flying everywhere. The smell of the yummy goodies wafts through the bake shop, into the production kitchen, and out into the halls. It's really difficult to refrain from grabbing just a bite of two of this.... or that but I'll be alright. =)



These are seriously the best chocolate chip cookies on the planet. My husband said so. =)

We open the pastry shop next Friday at 3PM.  I will be responsible for baking Challah, Peanut Butter Cookies, and white high-ratio cakes. I'll also be responsible for Cannoli. Ohhhhh how I love Cannoli. I have NO idea how to make it, I've never done it. Yet, I have to produce the tastiest and prettiest cannoli so that it can be SOLD in the pastry shop. Oh my.

I can do this.... I'm totally ready. But, I already know that it's going to take a lot out of me to be in these classes. It's a LOT of work. I have a goal in mind though. I need to work in this industry and get some experience under my belt before I can own my own shop. I'm ready for this adventure. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment