Thursday, April 8, 2010

May is Celiac Awareness Month

I thought I'd take a moment to reflect on this issue since I'm loading up my blog with posts about my attempts to get into pastry school.

There is only one cure for Celiac Disease - a lifelong avoidance of gluten. Period. That's it. There's no magic pill, there's no surgery, there's no special exercise, and there are no doctors who can take away the problem.  While I am intolerant of gluten, I do not have Celiac Disease. My daughter, however, does.

My dream is to learn, in pastry school, from the best. I will learn how to make high-end pastry, breads, and goodies in the classroom setting, working with CIA trained Chefs. I will come home and work, tirelessly, to create those same items sans gluten. In many cases, I will be working to create those same items vegan! In addition to Celiac in our home, we also have a 4 year old son who has a life-threatening allergy to eggs and dairy. Vegan & Gluten Free are the only way for us.

So, yes... I will be creating lovely goodies that I can't enjoy. But, it's alright!!  I will learn how to create these delectables for others like myself and my children, so that they too may enjoy the yumminess that comes from the kitchen of a pastry chef.

No comments:

Post a Comment