When you are ready for something a little sweeter, stop by the bake sale for dessert or a treat to bring home. My gluten free treats for the sale will be French Macarones - oh how I adore those fussy little pastries!
In 2009, Great American Bake Sales held across the nation raised more than $1,220,000 to fund after school and summer feeding programs for children, and support Share Our Strength’s Operation Frontline®, a chef-led nutrition education program for low-income children and families.
Here are some very good reasons for you to grab a treat at the bake sale:
- 12.6 million…American children wonder if they will eat in the morning
- 13%…of American families with children under six years old face hunger
- 50%…of American food stamp recipients are children
- 60%…of requests for emergency food assistance come from American families with children
- 89%…of low-income American children who receive school lunches do not receive regular meals during the summer
- One…summer of poor nutrition will seriously impair a child’s ability to learn
- 1 in 3…Americans who stand in a soup kitchen line are children1 in 5…American households with children live at risk of hunger
- 1 in 10…American households lack access to enough food
As a chef, I feel it's part of my duty to help educate people on this issue. As a mother, I feel the need to do my part to see to it that all mother's are able to feed their babies.
If you are in the area, please stop by the bake sale!
****** Update!! *******
The first Great American Bake Sale was a huge success!! We were hoping to raise $200 - $250.00 or so, we raised $600.00!!!!! Thank you to everyone who stopped by!!!