Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Feelin' Saucy!

Last night I actually made it to my PCII class! Hoooray. It was sauce night. I actually am a big fan of the utilization of sauces to enhance dishes, so I'm always thankful for the opportunity to practice making them. We divided up into teams of 4 and got busy, and it was an incredibly fast paced and crazy night. We made 1 quart of each - Espagnole, Tomato Sauce, Bechemel, Veloute, and then we all attempted a demi glace. Of course there wasn't enough time, in a 3 hour class, to complete this incredibly time consuming sauce.

It's always pleasing when Chef says that we produced a good sauce. He liked the taste of all of them, and said we had near perfect nappe on the Bechemel.

I would like to meet the person who designed the production kitchen. In my own very special way of saying thanks, I'd like to whap him/her upside the head with a baseball bat. The French stoves give off SO much heat, it's like standing in the sun and just letting it beat down on your face. It's awful.... the heat is insane in that poorly designed kitchen. Though, it certainly does foster the need for team work. If you aren't working with your team.... you are pretty much working against the other teams, and that simply doesn't cut it in the kitchen.

We have next week off for the holiday, but I have to start practicing making a Béarnaise as we will have a practical exam on it. I have a feeling that anything less than a perfect sauce is going to result in a failing grade. Ugh.

On a totally unrelated note, today I attended the Scholarship Recognition luncheon at the college. I was this years winner of the Hector Boirdi Culinary Scholarship. The luncheon was fun and I got to meet a couple people from the college who are involved with the Phi Theta Kappa. I've been a member for over a year, but haven't really done anything with the group. Now that I've met the president, perhaps I will. =)

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on your Béarnaise! You're going to do great though! This is so your "thing"!

    I haven't done anything with Phi Theta Kappa either...I should. It's good on paper and I need all I can get for a resume since I have 12 years of empty!

    I really enjoy reading about your culinary journey! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete