- St. Clair Vicar's Choice Sauv Blanc
- Domaine Hippolyte Reverdy Sancerre
- Domaine Olivier Savary Chablis
- Errazuriz Wile Ferment Chard
- Monchhof Mosel Slate Riesling Spatlese (my personal fave!)
- Storybook Mountain Zin Gris
- Crios Syrah Bonarda
- Spellbound Petite Sirah
- Joel Gott Zinfindel
- Errazuriz Max Reserva Cab Sauv
- Somerset Ridge Buffalo Red (a yummy Kansas wine!! Yes, they do exist!!)
Sunday, June 14, 2009
Friday, June 5, 2009
Southern Red Velvet Cake
1 3/4 c. canola oil
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs, beaten (room temp)
1 c. brown rice flour
3/4 c. sorghum flour
3/4 c. tapioca starch
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. buttermilk (or 1 Tbsp cider vinegar and 1 c. milk substitute)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 oz. red food coloring (this is one of the McCormick’s bottles)
1 Tbsp. cocoa
1 box confectioner’s sugar
8 oz. cream cheese (can sub vegan cream cheese)
1 stick butter (room temp)
1 c. chopped nuts (optional)
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Use a mixer to cream oil and sugar. With the mixer still going, add one egg at a time and beat until the eggs are thoroughly incorporated. (This step creates an emulsion that holds the batter together)
3. Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl. Make sure they are well mixed, either by sifting the flours or whisking them.
4. Add the flour to the oil and sugar mixture in four parts. Alternate the flour with the buttermilk. You should begin and end with dry ingredients and each part should be mixed in completely before you add the next. (If you were to start with the liquids the emulsion would break.)
5. Make a paste of the cocoa, red food coloring, and vanilla and gently stir it into the batter.
6. Pour the batter into two greased and floured round cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 25 minutes. (A toothpick stuck into the middle of the cake should come out clean when the cake is done)
7. When the cakes have completely cooled, frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
1. Cream the confectioner’s sugar, cream cheese, and butter.
2. Mix in the vanilla and chopped nuts.
3. Spread over cooled cake.