Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Snickerdooooooodles!

My Josh-man is turning 11 tomorrow. For the life of me, I can't figure out where time went.

His favorite thing in the world is Snickerdoodle cookies. I have incredibly fond memories of making them with my grandma on Sunday mornings. My little sister absolutely loves them, and it would be a huge treat for me to make them for her. Now, I want to make them (myself) for my son.

There is one problem though.... about 6 months ago Joshua's annual celiac panel came back unequivocal. In the past, there has been some leeway on the interpretation of the results, not to much this time. Joshua has Celiac Disease - just like his sister and little brother.

It was my mission to find/create a gluten free Snickerdoodle and I am happy to report that I have succeeded.

Gluten-Free Snickerdoodles

Source: The Gluten-Free Baker by Robyn Ryberg

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup shortening (I used margarine)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla flavouring
  • 1/2 cup potato starch
  • 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp water
Cinnamon-Sugar Mixture:
  • 2 Tbsp sugar mixed with
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, cream together shortening and sugar. Add egg and vanilla flavouring. Mix well. Add potato starch, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt and water. Mix well to eliminate any lumps in the dough. Dough will be sticky. Lightly oil hands or spray them with nonstick spray to better handle dough. Shape into small balls, using a slightly-rounded teaspoon of dough for each cookie. Roll in sugar/cinnamon mixture.
  2. Place on lightly greased baking sheet and press each ball to an even thickness of about 1/3 inch. Bake for 10-12 minutes. A single cookie should be removed at the shortest-baking time to test for doneness. Browning is not a good indicator for these cookies.
Makes about 3 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment