Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Mac & Cheese Upgrade!



  • 12 oz elbow macaroni
  • 1 head roughly chopped cauliflower
  • 4 slices torn bread
  • 1/2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley - chopped
  • 3T olive oil
  • Kosher salt and black pepper
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Heat oven to 400 degrees.
Cook pasta according to package label, add cauliflower during the last 3 minutes; drain.

Mix in a bown and set aside; torn bread crumbs, parsley, 2 T olive oil, 1/4 tspn salt and pepper to taste.

Return pasta to medium heat, add remaining oil, add onion, s&p, cook just until onions start to soften.

Mix cheese, sour cream, cheese, milk & mustard in with the pasta.

Transfer to shallow baking dish and top with bread crumbs. Bake 12-15 minutes.

notes:
I used gluten free pasta and bread, obviously. It worked wonderfully. So, for my gluten free friends... this is really a tasty treat!!! For those who aren't gluten free, use regular elbows and whatever bread you chose. I think it would work great with italian!!

Another side note.... I added some fine Italian breadcrumbs to my own "homemade" bread crumbs because I knew that my kiddos would want more "bang" for their buck with regards to a bread topping. Feel free to experiement!!! =)

1 comment: