My ingredients were gathered... my KitchenAid was ready to rock... and I began the arduous task of creating a winning recipe. Baking gluten free is a pain in the neck, though!
The campfire mocha is basically coffee, chocolate, and marshmallows. So, my cupcake is a mocha cake, with a mocha mousse, topped with marshmallows and a dark chocolate ganache.
Vegan & Gluten Free Campfire Mocha Cupcakes
- 1 cup chocolate soymilk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups gluten free flour mix (I used Arrowhead Mills)
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 1/4 cup dutch process cocoa
- 1/2 cup Earth's Best buttery spread (vegan)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons strong coffee
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan gum
2. Whisk together soy milk and vinegar - allow to curdle.
3. Sift flour and cocoa powder together, add salt - set aside.
4. Cream margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy - NO more than 2 minutes.
5. Add in coffee, beat until incorporated.
6. Starting with the dry ingredients, alternate dry ingredients, then milk & cider mix, until everything is well incorporated.
Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full, bake for 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Chocolate Mousse Topping
- 1 (12-3) ounce package extra firm silken aseptic tofu (Mori-Nu) drained of excess liquid
- 1/4 cup chocolate soymilk
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 12 ozs semi sweet chocolate chips
2. Crumble tofu into blender, add soy milk & coffee mix, agave (and maple syrup if using 70% chocolate). Purree until completely smooth, set aside.
3. In double boiler, melt chocolate chips and add to blender once melted and smooth.
Scrape sides of blender down often!
4. Transfer into an airtight container and chill for a couple hours before frosting.
- 1/3 cup soy creamer
- 4 oz chocolate (again, I used 70% - but you could use whatever you like!)
Heat creamer to scalding, pour over chocolate... stir well until chocolate is melted and shiny. =)
The marshmallows in the picture are not vegan. The rest of the cupcake, frosting, and ganache are all vegan. =)
Mixing the batter...
And, here they are... fresh from the oven. They didn't rise as much as I thought they would, so it was a good thing I had extra batter. Had I filled them 2/3 full in the beginning, this mix would have made 12 easily.
And, here is my finished product. I have to say... I'm quite proud of this one! My husband each had a cupcake last night. We both loved them. He took the rest of them to work today. My Campfire Mocha Cupcake is now history, his coworkers ate all of them, and loved them. Hooray! =)
Prizes this month are:
* DIANAEVANS - http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5599270
* a pair of cupcake earrings from LOTS OF SPRINKLES - http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6057281.
* CAKESPY - http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5243382
As an added bonus for February, SWEET CUPPIN CAKES BAKERY AND CUPCAKERY SUPPLY will be tossing in a variety of cupcaking supplies, http://www.acupcakery.com/index.html.
Last and certainly not least, don’t forget our corporate prize providers: HEAD CHEFS by FIESTA PRODUCTS, http://www.fiestaproducts.com, HELLO CUPCAKE by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson, http://blog.hellocupcakebook.com, JESSIE STEELE APRONS http://www.jessiesteele.com; TASTE OF HOME books, http://www.tasteofhome.com; a t-shirt from UPWITHCUPCAKES.COM http://www.upwithcupcakes.com/. Iron Cupcake:Earth is sponsored in part by 1-800-Flowers, http://www.1800flowers.com