Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Chicken with Applesauce

Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance. Yahoo. While I am not diabetic, I really have to watch my intake of carbs and sugar. I'm always trying to get my kids to eat better, but it's difficult. I found a Fix it and Forget it crockpot cookbook for diabetics, and thought I'd give a couple of the recipes a whirl.

Last night I made Chicken with Applesauce and it was actually very good. Due to the nature of the medication that I'm taking, I've had to seriously up my protein intake for a few weeks. So, chicken is back on my list of things I "will" eat. I know... I know... I can hear all the vegetarians in the world grunting and groaning. Believe me, I've grunted and groaned too. I know I can get plenty of protein from beans, legumes, and grains... but they just don't stay with me the way animal protein does. *sigh*

Anyhow... I've been taking Metformin for PCOS for 2 weeks now...and I've lost 7 lbs already! Go me!

  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 2 C unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 cup BBQ sauce (we use Sweet Baby Ray's since it's GF)
  • 1/2 tspn poultry seasoning
  • 2 tsp. honey (I used Agave instead)
  • 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1. Season chicken with S&P, brown in oil for 5 minutes per side.
2. Cut up chicken into 1" chunks and transfer to slow cooker.
3. Combine remaining ingredients, pour over chicken and mix together well.
4. Cover. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or until chicken is tender.
5. Serve over rice or noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment