Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sweet Potato & Black Bean Fritters with Cayenne Aioli


I absolutely love Eden Alley in Kansas City. It's one of my favorite restaurants, but it's down on the Country Club Plaza and quite a bit out of the way. One of my favorite dishes is a corn & potato fritter with turtle beans and cashew cheddar. It was my inspiration for this dish.

For the Fritter:
  • 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can organic sweet potato puree
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 1/3 cup gluten free flour mix
Mix all ingredients well using the paddle in a stand mixer. Meanwhile, heat coconut oil (or vegetable oil of choice) in a large saute pan. Drop the fritter batter into the pan and shape into pancake like circles. The batter is thick, so it'll need to be flattened and smoothed out a bit.

Cook until golden brown on both sides. Serve on a bed of brown rice with a drizzle of the Cayenne Aioli.

Cayenne Aioli
  • 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Whisk together in a small bowl - and refrigerate until ready to serve.

note: I didn't measure my "pancakes" - but I'd guess I was using about 1/4 cup batter for each fritter. I was able to make 8 fritters and served 2 on 1/2 cup of brown rice, with just a drizzle of the aioli - perhaps 2 tablespoons or so. =)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, this sounds delicious. I can't wait to try making it. :)

    ReplyDelete