Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Soup, Glorious Soup

I love soup. It's been a favorite food since I can remember. One of my all-time favorite meals, to date, is grilled cheese with tomato soup. When I was little it was American on Wonder, with a dish of Campbell's. Num, yummy.

I can no longer eat Wonder bread and much to my surprise - and dismay - Campbell's Tomato Soup contains wheat. (I've asked 'why?' about 100 times, to no avail!) I don't like most gluten free breads, though I keep trying. I've started making sandwiches on Van's Gluten Free Waffles Buckwheat Waffles. And, I've replaced my soup with a much healthier alternative - Amy's Kitchen Cream of Tomato Soup.

Why am I babbling on and on about soup?? Well, primarily because I tried out a new recipe today and wanted to post it. Secondly, because Joshua.... my oh-so-picky 10 year old, actually ate a whole bowl of tomato soup last night, and he LOVED it!! I was dancing for joy!

Without further ado:

Quinoa & Spinach Soup
  • 1 medium red onion, diced
  • 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
  • 4 cups water
  • 3/4 cups quinoa - rinsed
  • 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, with basil, garlic, & oregano
  • 10 oz spinach leaves
  • Salt, Pepper, Cayenne to taste
1. Coat large saucepan with nonstick spray and heat over medium.
Add onion, and saute' 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in broth and water, bring to a boil. Add quinoa, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Stir in tomatoes and spinach leaves. Simmer 5 minutes, uncovered, or until spinach and quinoa are tender. Season with salt, pepper, and Cayenne if desired, serve immediately.

**Feel free to add in up to 2 cups of your favorite frozen vegetables to add flavor and nutrients.

2 comments:

  1. I'm making this tonight. So excited. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO GOOD. We loved it. Definitely will be in regular rotation here! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete