Friday, January 2, 2009

The Mystery Cake


I was feeling a bit nostalgic so I started going through some of the cookbooks that had once belonged to my Grandma - Nanny. She was born and raised in Kentucky and she was very much a Southern Woman. One of the cookbooks she left to me, specifically, was a Southern Heritage Cake Cookbook. In it, a recipe for a Mystery Cake. I was really interested in this cake, primarily because I could not figure out the mystery. I read the recipe over and over again, and finally realized that it's a 3 layer cake, the top and bottom being white, while the center is a chocolate layer. Ahh, mystery solved.

I decided to make this yummy sounding cake, but of course... it had to be gluten free.

So far I've had a lot of luck using a gluten free all purpose flour mix in my baking. Tonight, my luck ran out. Actually, my Arrowhead Mills flour ran out. I needed 2 1/2 cups for the recipe. I only had 2. I had to improvise and use another brand of gluten free flour to finish it off. Note to self: Not all gluten free flour blends are the same!

I gathered all my mise en place - and got ready to attempt this cake.



I noticed the problems with this cake as soon as I started mixing. It had the consistency of bread dough. One would almost swear there was gluten in there by the way the batter became elastic-like. I have to add, I also subbed Hemp Milk for dairy milk, because not only am I gluten free - I'm also dairy free.

In any event, I'm not going to bother posting the recipe because this simply didn't work. However, it was incredibly tasty!! The cake was lightly spicy (cinnamon & nutmeg) while the frosting was mocha chocolaty goodness. The cake had a consistency of a biscuit, rather than cake. The white layers tasted more like spicy biscuits as well.

I think I will try this cake again, but I will use only one type of gf flour blend and see how it turns out. If it works, I'll post the recipe. =)

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! I love happy kitchen "accidents" with food!!

    ReplyDelete