- 1 1/2 cups arboria rice
- 2 tblns extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 medium zucchini, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary (or 1 tablespoon dried)
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 3 cups gluten free marinara sauce
- Fresh Rosemary sprigs (optional)
Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease 10-inch quiche dish or pie plate.
In a large stockpot filled with boiling salted water, boil rice for 8 minutes and drain well.
In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook - stirring until softened. Add zucchini, 2 tablespoons of the rosemary, garlic, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
Add rice, eggs, 1/2 cup of the cheese, and milk to the skillet; mix well to thoroughly combine. Transfer to pie plate. Bake, uncovered, for about 35 minutes, or until set and beginning to brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the marinara sauce and remaining rosemary to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand for 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
To serve, cut the pie into 6 equal pieces. Ladle equal portions of marinara onto each of 6 serving plates and top with a piece of pie. Serve at once, garnished with fresh rosemary sprigs, if desired.
(6 main-dish size servings, or 8 side-dish servings)
Note: This pie is yummy! The crunchiness of the parmesan and the lingering taste of rosemary just makes it sooo good!