Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Class 1 - Knife Skills

Last night I finally got to test my new Westhof... and I'm still afraid of it. It's a big knife, and it's going to take me a while to learn how to use it properly, but I'll get it. I must have sliced and diced 12 pounds of celery, carrots, red potatoes, onions, and garlic. My hands stink, and no matter how many times I rub them on stainless steel, the onion smell continues to linger. Yuck.

All of the miripoix veggies that were cut up went into the oven with beef knuckles to create a beef stock; we'll use the stock next week for "meat class." I do have homework, and I wasn't expecting that. I have to make my OWN beef stock, from scratch, and bring in a cup for the Chef to grade. He's been doing this for 25 years, he said, "I'll be able to tell, with one look, what you did right or wrong." Ohhh goody. =)

We discussed all different types of knives, their uses, what they are made of, how to care for them, and the different parts that make up a knife. It really was very interesting... even though Chef Richard assured us that this particular class would be pretty boring. I can't wait for the next class. I was fascinated by this one, if he thinks it was boring, next week outta be fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment